Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Family Is Central to the Creators Plan for the Eternal Happiness of His Children!



Sometimes I worry so much about our world and the economy and all the the turmoil that is swirling around us out there. I realize that if I think about it too much I can become physically ill! "what if this happens" or "what if that happens". It can take over my life if I'm not careful to focus my thoughts elsewhere.

After listening to General Conference earlier this month and after hearing how "the family is under attack", I felt an overwhelming urgency to focus my attention on MY FAMILY. The truth is that there is no better way that I can improve the the world around me than by nurturing and loving my children and teaching them the gospel of Jesus Christ. My thoughts have most particularly been focused on "The Family a Proclamation to the World". After a person reads this proclamation written by the first presidency and the council of the twelve apostles, it leaves no room for ANY question as to how the Lord would have us live our lives with reference to the family! In fact I know that if we follow the council in the proclamation we will find ourselves in a family organization that can be likened to "Heaven". How do I know this? Two reasons really. One I believe everything written in it! Kevin and I have tried to follow it the best way we know how and we have had little glimpses of Heaven because of it! Two, because I know that the Prophet is the Lords mouthpiece and the Lord knows what will bring true happiness into our lives.

Kevin and I really want to make sure that our children grow up with no question in their minds about what the prophets have said concerning the family. We decided that the best way to do that would be to have them memorize the Proclamation. The last three family nights have been centered around memorizing it and talking about it. We only have the first two paragraphs memorized because it's hard for the younger kids. We wondered if what we were doing was making a difference or if we would ever be able to finish the entire proclamation.

Today was our stake conference. The theme of the conference was "Family". Our family participated in the stake family choir. We sang four songs for the conference. It was really great to be together and to sing together. I loved it! The thing that was fun to witness was as a few of the speakers made reference to the proclamation and recited some of it, I saw my children's heads jerk up and their eyes sparkle with excitement as they listen to the words that they could recite right along with the speaker. I knew at that moment that what we were doing was good and right and that the words they memorize will come to them during times in their life when they are making decision that will effect the rest of their life!




2 comments:

heather and fam said...

What a great idea! You guys are AMAZING parents!!!! We love and miss you!
Heather and FAM!

Elder and Sister McEvoy said...

Your first post in a while and it reminds me how GREAT you are! We love you and are excited for your family.