
Yesterday (Jan 31) and today have been very emotional, and spiritual for me. Yesterday was Kyra's birthday. She had her first party with a bunch of her friends. Allison was the perfect hostess. She had games planned and was sweet and kind to all of Kyra's friends. It was a fun day. Kyra wore her special necklace, and caught me off guard. I was just talking to her about her friends coming over for the party, and noticed her necklace and my mind (oh my foolish wandering mind) started to reflect on birthdays when I was a kid and the things we did (some we continue to do, like the homemade birthday banners), and well me emotions kinda got the better of me if you know what I mean... ;)
So we had a good party, a fun evening with Kari's parents coming over and Lauren and Andrew. So we had cake and ice cream twice in about 8 hours or so (SWEET!!). That evening as I was trying to keep my eyes open until Bridgette got home (it was only about 10:10 or so) and more importantly trying to stay awake and talk with Kari... she told me I had the spiritual thought for PEC in the morning.
Let's jump to this morning (Sunday). We had a Stake priesthood leadership meeting this morning at 7 am. We were taught about being better teachers. We were asked by one of the Stake presidency to think about a teacher that really had an impact on our life (mainly spiritually, of course). I started pondering, and naturally my mind focused (in my mind) one of the greatest teachers, ever... Elaine McEvoy (mom). So we were asked to think about the reasons for our respect and admiration of said teacher. I remember walking past the Lundahl's for our Sunday walk, and mom was able to talk to us about Heavenly Father, whether is was the beauty around us or the things we may have discussed in Church that day. Then we would usually stop at one of the senior couples homes to visit. Another great teaching moment without us even noticing. I think mom was excellent at teaching by example and I believe that was almost ever present in her mind... I believe she was constantly thinking "what is Jim watching me do right now while he has to sit on that chair for a WHOLE hour" (I exaggerated the chair part) Just kiddin' ya Jim.
Well now you know a bit about what wheels were turning in my mind during the priesthood mtg, let me tell you about the planned spiritual thought I had for the PEC that was after above mtg. We are reading in Helaman right now and reading about Nephi the prophet and how he was so trusted by God that he was given sealing power and how he asked for a famine to avoid a war, believing the famine would humble the people. His faith was recognized by our Father in Heaven and the famine occurred and the nephites humbled themselves. However by the end of the chapter, they had become prideful again and forgotten their Lord. So my thought was about humility and being careful to be prideful. Again I thought of Mom, and Dad. I remember dad saying "...being humble is being teachable." So it has been a very emotional and spiritual couple of days for me. I have to say the capper was fasting today, seeing one of the priests (after being challenged by the Bishop) cut his hair, and hearing some sweet and sincere testimonies in sacrament meeting.
Sorry for droning on so much, we should be adding some photos of the b-day party shortly.
3 comments:
kev did you ask me if i read this so that I could cry?? jk
I am so lucky to have such a great example in my life! Thank you for your thoughts, they help us all to grow! I love you all!!
I'm so glad I found you're blog! You have such beautiful kids. It looks like things are going really well for you guys!
I cried while I read you're post. I loved your mom! She really was an amazing teacher, well, an amazing lady reall! I think about her all the time. She was a selfless lady!
Thanks Kev!!
Elder Mac
Post a Comment